Tuesday, July 3, 2012

French Inspired Heirloom Tomato Basil Goat Cheese Tart





Tomato Slices Marinated in Balsamic Vinegar

My deep dish red pie pan and my thin french tart pan

Punch Lots of Holes! I think I punched about 30 in mine.  I don't use a fork, four holes at a time is not spaced evenly.  I use a very sharp knife tip.

All Put Together

Lots and Lots of Basil Strips
  The Balsamic Vinegar makes it a "Tart" Tart!  :)
The goat cheese balances out the bite of the vinegar.

FRENCH INSPIRED TOMATO BASIL GOAT CHEESE TART

4-5 ounces creamy goat cheese
3-4 good sized heirloom tomatoes (I used a mixture of yellow and red)
1 unbaked pie crust
2 tablespoons fresh sliced basil leaves (15 leaves?)
1 cup balsamic vinaigrette
1/2 cup Romano cheese

Slice your tomato slices to be about 1/3 inch thick.  Press them with your fingers just to try to get rid of several of the seeds and the gooey watery membrane.  Marinate in the balsamic vinaigrette for 30 minutes to an hour.  Set your goat cheese out on the counter so that it can come to room temperature for a spreading consistency.  Too cold and it will not spread easily for you. Turn once or twice to make sure they are all coated nicely while you marinate.  I do this in a big gallon sized Ziploc bag. I use a large french tart pan just because I really wanted this one to look pretty.  You could just as easily spread it out on a cookie sheet and roll the edge slightly.  Many different ways to do this. Punch several holes into the spread out pie dough and bake at 350 for about 6-8 minutes.  You just want to get the baking started on this.  When it comes out, let it cool for 2-3 minutes and then spread your goat cheese evenly over the bottom.  Retrieve tomato slices, and arrange one layer of them evenly over the surface.  Use any leftovers for salads.  Sprinkle basil and Romano cheese over the top and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  Let cool for 15 minutes and slice!   Such a great flavor combo!

5 comments:

  1. Well, if I could find some good tomatoes around here I'd give this a shot. Our tomatoes have been BLEEP this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a good one to try! Just found your blog today~thanks for the food inspirations! Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Who needs pizza with a tart like this?

    Found your blog while researching how to use the Mirror Cookie Press...thanks for sharing the booklet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty nice post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wished
    to say that I have truly enjoyed surfing around your weblog posts.
    In any case I'll be subscribing in your feed and I'm hoping you write again soon!
    my web site > Western Australia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Valuable information and excellent design you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and time into the stuff you post!! Thumbs up

    Surgical instruments
    Dental Instruments
    Beauty instruments
    Neurosurgery Instruments
    ENT instruments

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking interest in this blog! I love comments and I will try to respond to them all. If you enjoy my posts, I encourage you to sign up and follow it on blogger. Thanks! -Anna