Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Epic Beef Stroganoff and Spaetzle!


This dish may not look amazing, but I believe it is one of my new favorite recipes!!!!   It was soooo delicious! I researched several different recipes for beef stroganoff online and combined my favorite elements of about 6 recipes.  I also really love pairing it with the spaetzle instead of the classic buttered egg noodles. I don't use spaetzle that often so it was thrilling as a novelty item for me.  You could also serve this over rice.

EPIC BEEF STROGANOFF and SPAETZLE

1 pound beef stew meat
1 package button mushrooms (clean, de-stem, and slice)
1 small chopped yellow onion
1/2 cup dry sherry
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon garlic
1tablespoon parsley
1tablespoon tarragon
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup light sour cream
3 cups beef broth
a few splashes of worchestershire sauce
1 package spaetzle (prepared according to directions on package)
3 tablespoons flour
salt and pepper to taste (I used just a pinch of salt on the meat while browning it, and added 1/2 tsp pepper)

In a large skillet with a tight fitting lid, place butter and oil and turn heat to medium high heat.  Combine the beef with the flour, and saute until the meat is browned.  Transfer to a bowl leaving the drippings in the pan.  Add the mushrooms and onions and saute for 5 minutes.  Return meat to the pan.  Add in the remaining ingredients except sour cream and spaetzle.  Stir well.  Turn heat down to low and simmer for 2 hours.  The beef broth will have been thickened by the flour that you added to the beef.  If you like a thinner sauce, add more broth accordingly. This dish could also be placed in a crock pot at this stage to be put on high heat for 4 hours for extra tender meat. Stir occasionally.  At this stage, turn off the heat and stir in the sour cream until well blended.  Serve over hot spaetzle in a bowl.    I highly recommend using dry sherry for this dish, if you do not wish to use it, I recommend using a dry red wine.













3 comments:

  1. My maman used to make spaetzle when I was little and they're pretty common in the East of France where I vacation--I love them! Your recipe sounds like an absolute delight :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH wow! I have never tried to make homemade spaetzle. Are they hard to make? In Tuscaloosa, we have one German bakery, but no French or German restaurants. In Huntsville, where my mom lives, they have several wonderful German restaurants with spaetzle but until I started looking for links to add to this entry, I didn't realize how they were made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it DOES look amazing!!!! Just add another dollop of sour cream on top for perfection!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking interest in this blog! I love comments and I will try to respond to them all. If you enjoy my posts, I encourage you to sign up and follow it on blogger. Thanks! -Anna